Our bodies function best when they are neither too acid nor too alkaline. Unfortunately most of us have become acidic due to diet, drink, and stress--both psychological and from pollution. Acidity or alkalinity is measured by "pH", which ranges from 0 on the acid side to 14 on the alkaline. Neutral is pH7. Our blood system is always working to keep itself in the narrow range of pH 7.35 to 7.45. Drinking alkaline water helps the body maintain a healthy pH level.
While fruits and vegetables are alkaline foods, many other common foods are acid producing. Stress, smoking, alcohol, and a sedentary lifestyle also add to the acidity of the body.
Proper Health starts with the correct acid-alkaline balance in your body. The pH level (acid - alkaline measurement) of our internal fluids affects every cell in our bodies. Extended acid imbalances of any kind can overwhelm your body, and lead to health complications.
When the pH of the body gets out of balance (too acidic), we may experience low energy, fatigue, excess weight, poor digestion, aches and pains, and even more serious disorders.
The cycle of acidity begins primarily as a result of three things:
1. Ingesting acids- Eating too many acidifying foods like processed sugar, meats, dairy, coffee, alcohol, etc. Create an acid ash in the body. These acids can overload the body’s ability to neutralize them.
2. Creation of acids- Pathogens and microforms create acidifying toxins in the body. As the body becomes more and more acidic, bad bacteria, yeasts and other microforms proliferate in the body. Since these organisms are living, they eat as well as create resulting in toxins. These toxins are often very acidifying.
3. Improper elimination of acids- Not all acids are the same; some are weak and some are strong. Weak acids like citric acid are much easier to neutralize than strong acids like uric acid. The body uses many systems in order to buffer acids including breath, mineral reserves, and fat. When the body’s buffering systems become compromised, excess acids build up.
The easiest way to assist your body in becoming more alkaline is to drink alkaline water.
Alkaline water helps to neutralize stored acids and toxins. Once these acids are neutralized, they can then be removed by the body. Alkaline water containing ionic minerals also acts as a conductor of electrochemical activity from cell to cell.
Reports from studies suggest that alkaline water can help the body resist disease and slow aging by:
- Increasing Intracellular Hydration
- Replenishing Essential Minerals
- Stabilizing and Protecting Cells
- Helping To Maintain Normal Blood Flow and Acid Alkaline Balance
- Flushing Out and Preventing Wastes from Accumulating in Cells
- Preventing Free Radicals from Forming and Damaging Other Cells